A while back, I visited Amgen Labs to attend an Osteoporosis Summit. While we were there, we attended a cooking class and learned how to make Salmon Cakes with Cucumber Cooler Dip. Salmon is high in vitamin D and the yogurt has calcium. Both are essential nutrients for bone health The recipe was so yummy, I wanted to share it with you.
Enjoy this bone-healthy recipe for Salmon cakes with cucumber cooler dip
Salmon Cakes with Cucumber Cooler Dip
- 1 lb fresh Atlantic Salmon (skin-on) For a vegetarian option replace salmon with two 15 oz cans of black beans.
- 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp olive oil divided
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced celery
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 green onions sliced thin and divided
- ½ tsp dried dill
- 1½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 2½ tbsp mayo
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp lemon juice
Cucumber Cooler Dip
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- ½ small cucumber diced
- ¼ tsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp lemon juice
- Pinch of chopped fresh mint
- Pinch of salt.
- Heat skillet on medium heat and add 1 tsp of olive oil.
- Sprinkle salmon generously with salt and pepper. Place salmon skin down in a hot skillet,
- Cook salmon for 4-5 minutes on each side. Once cooked through, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Heat the same skillet to medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add 1 tsp oil. Add onion, celery, and garlic. Season with salt. Sweat the vegetables (turn the heat down if they start to brown) until they’re slightly softened, about 5 minutes. (You still want them to have a little bit of texture to them.) Cool for a minute or two.
- Place salmon (or black beans) in a mixing bowl and use a fork to fake the fish apart. Add the cooled vegetables, Panko, egg, all but 2 tsp of the green onion, dill, Dijon, mayo, lemon juice, and ¼ tsp salt. Use a fork to stir the mixture until combined. Form into four large or eight small patties.
- Heat skillet or griddle to medium heat. Brush with remaining olive oil. Add salmon patties, and cook until golden brown and crispy, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Serve with Cucumber Cooler Dip and garnish with the remaining green onion.
Cucumber Cooler Dip
- Combine yogurt, cucumber, lemon zest and juice, mint and salt in a small bowl or jar.
According to Amgen, this recipe contains 460 mg of calcium or 46% of the daily recommended value. Foods high in Vitamin D, like these salmon cakes, promote calcium absorption. If you’re a salmon lover, you may also want to try my Salmon Olive Dip, Citrus Salmon Dinner, and Whiskey Glazed Salmon recipes.
If fresh salmon isn’t available you can use canned salmon that has been drained. Places like Vital Choice, and Thrive Market have high-quality wild-caught canned salmon that you can have shipped to your door.
This recipe is flavorful because it combines herbs, lemon, garlic, and onions. However, if you want to spice it up, you can add a little hot sauce to the mix.
Besides bone health, salmon in any type of recipe will give you benefits for your heart and cardiovascular system because it contains Omega 3 fatty acids and is an excellent source of protein.
This is also a great recipe for those who may not be fish lovers because it’s so tangy and good. You may even want to try making it with your grandkids.
It’s important to eat more fish and fewer red meats for better health especially as you grow older to maintain your muscle and keep your cholesterol and blood pressure low.
How to you love to eat salmon or other types of fish? Please leave a comment below.