If you’re looking for a colorful and nutrient-dense salad idea, the Chinese Coleslaw recipe below is terrific. It’s made with Bok Choy and mixed with carrots, cucumbers, red pepper, and crunchy water chestnuts. The homemade dressing is light and low in fat with a sprinkling of fresh ginger and crushed red pepper.
Enjoy this Chinese Coleslaw and stay healthy
Chinese Coleslaw with Bok Choy
- 3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp organic raw sugar
- 1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1/3 tsp Chinese 5 Spice seasoning *
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 small Persian cucumbers or 1 medium cucumber
- 1 cup of chopped bok choy leaves and stems
- 1/2 cup of shredded peeled carrots
- 1/2 sweet red pepper finely chopped
- 1 can 6 oz sliced water chestnuts (drained)
- 1 tbsp of fresh cilantro leaves chopped.
- 1-2 tsp of dark sesame oil
- In a large salad bowl, mix together the vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, ginger, 5 spice seasoning, garlic, toasted sesame seeds and red pepper flakes.
- Add the chopped cucumbers, bok choy, carrots, red peppers, sliced water chestnuts, and cilantro.
- Drizzle the sesame oil on top and toss.
Bok Choy is a staple in Asian cooking. As a cruciferous vegetable, it’s a cancer fighter and is rich in beta-carotene. Beta-carotene helps prevent eye disease, particularly macular degeneration. As a healthy source of fiber, high in vitamins and minerals, it’s also a perfect vegetable to eat if you want to lose weight.
I love to cook with baby Bok Choy because it’s so tender. Saute it on a stove with a little olive oil and use it as a side dish as I did with my Wild Salmon recipe.
Do you enjoy eating Bok Choy? How do you like to eat it? Please leave a comment below.