Chinese Coleslaw with Bok Choy
A tasty departure from a typical salad, Chinese coleslaw is a combination of nutritious Bok Choy and other colorful vegetables. Makes a great party salad.
- 3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp organic raw sugar
- 1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1/3 tsp Chinese 5 Spice seasoning *
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 small Persian cucumbers or 1 medium cucumber
- 1 cup of chopped bok choy leaves and stems
- 1/2 cup of shredded peeled carrots
- 1/2 sweet red pepper finely chopped
- 1 can 6 oz sliced water chestnuts (drained)
- 1 tbsp of fresh cilantro leaves chopped.
- 1-2 tsp of dark sesame oil
In a large salad bowl, mix together the vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, ginger, 5 spice seasoning, garlic, toasted sesame seeds and red pepper flakes.
Add the chopped cucumbers, bok choy, carrots, red peppers, sliced water chestnuts, and cilantro.
Drizzle the sesame oil on top and toss.
If you can't find 5 Spice Chinese seasoning, it is a combination of dried and ground anise, cinnamon, star anise, cloves, and ginger.
To toast sesame seeds, heat a small frying pan and toast, turning for just a couple minutes.