If I could only eat one food on Earth, it would probably be an avocado. I simply love them. And now, experts are saying that avocados should be added to the Mediterranean diet.
Avocados were originally brought back to Spain from the Americas, specifically Central Mexico. In turn, Spain brought America tomatoes. Mix that with onion and a little hot sauce and you have perfect guacamole.
The main ingredients for longevity in the Mediterranean diet include tomatoes, whole grains, wine, and olive oil. The diet, itself is known for its low levels of saturated fat and high levels of anti-oxidants.
Avocados arrived in Spain in 1616 and are used widely, however, they were never considered to be an official part of the Mediterranean diet.
Here are the key guidelines of how to incorporate the Mediterranean Diet (including avocados) into your life:
Key Guidelines for the Mediterranean Diet
- Three or more servings of whole grains daily
- At least seven servings fruits and veggies every day
- Two or more servings of wild fish per week
- Use olive oil, avocados, nuts, and seeds as your main sources of fat
- Daily physical activity
Putting Mediterranean Diet Principles Into Practice
Here are five ways to make your diet more Mediterranean-Style:
- Make fruits and veggies your foundation – Try recipes that call for lots of veggies and enjoy fresh salads frequently for (or as part of) your main meals. Also, adding California avocado slices to your salads in place of full-fat cheese is a great way to infuse more vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants into your diet while reducing saturated fat. For desserts, enjoy naturally sweet desserts made with fresh or dried fruit.
- Switch to whole grains – Choose whole-grain bread and cereals and begin to eat more whole-grain rice and pasta products.
- Snack on nuts – Keep nuts on hand for a quick snack in place of soda, sweets, or other popular snack choices.
- Cook with olive or grapeseed oil – Use olive or grapeseed oil as a healthy replacement for butter or margarine. Use it for cooking and baking.
- Enjoy fish, poultry, and other lean protein – Enjoy small amounts of fish and poultry in main dishes to help reduce saturated fat. When eating dairy, choose low-fat or nonfat.
Add avocados to make your diet even better
When you add avocados to the basic Mediterranean diet you get even more longevity benefits.
What’s your favorite avocado combination? Please leave a quick comment below.